Thangka painting takes a lifetime of training. To become a Thangka Painter takes six to ten years and a minimum of thirty years is required to be an accomplished master in the tradition. In spite of this, we offer some short courses specially designed for anyone interested in Thangka Painting and developing an understanding about the iconography, methods and materials and techniques involved in the process of creation of Thangka Paintings.
The artform is highly endangered and so taking efforts to revive it is crucial. The masters realized that it was important to design shorter courses while still respecting all the rules, sanctions and authentic traditional guidelines. The aim of these courses is to preserve and promote the traditional teachings of Thangka Painting.
- The student should have a computer desktop or laptop
- Any version of Adobe Illustrator, trial version of Adobe Illustrator is also fine
- Basic knowledge of Adobe Illustrator - like Start, Exit, Opening and closing files
- No Art background required
- Creating a Nude Buddha Thangka style
- Learn to create different body parts of Buddha
- Learn to use the template which contains the basic proportions of Shankyamuni Buddha
- Coloring and shading Buddha