We all want to make a difference with our giving. This course explores ways to ensure your giving makes a difference. I’ll show you ways to give that provide more dollars to your favorite organizations and may save you money on taxes.
This course will provide valuable resources on giving. You’ll develop a giving plan that supports what you value most while potentially saving taxes or taking care of your family. Tax discussions in this course focus on United State income and estate taxes.
The course is divided into four sections that each ask an important question about giving.
Who should I give to?
- You’ll clarify the values and causes most important to you. Knowing your values helps you pick organizations that support those values. I show you how to find organizations and how to evaluate how good they are at fulfilling their mission
What should I give?
- I’ll explain the pros and cons of giving cash, donated goods, and investments. Giving isn’t limited to money or assets. You can also volunteer at organizations and buy from for-profit companies that support your values
How should I give?
- You have many options besides giving directly to charities. These options may give you tax savings. One very popular option that’s growing quickly is donor advised funds. Other options discussed in this course include foundations, charitable trusts, charitable gift annuities and pooled income funds
- I’ll also discuss the pros and cons of designating your funds or leaving them undesignated so the organization can choose the best use of the funds.
When should I give?
- I show you how batching donations could increase your tax deductions. You may be able to save taxes by donating your IRA funds. Wills and life insurance are two ways to provide significant gifts to leave a legacy to your favorite charities
- The goal of this course is not to encourage you to give more or change who you’re giving to. This course is a labor of love to help people make better giving decisions. Better giving allows you to increase the impact of your giving and make our world a better place
- Very simple understanding of what a U.S. tax deduction is
- Discover ways to give that may reduce your United States federal income tax
- Assess charities for their effectiveness
- Match your values to charities that promote your what you value
- Identify the best resources to donate
- Develop a giving plan