This course teaches the new 2d tools and features of Unity 2017, including the Tilemap and Timeline Editor tools. These features are completely new to Unity and allow developers to develop 2d games quicker and more effectively. This course is geared towards beginners but is a great choice for any Unity developer looking to learn how to use Unity’s latest tools and features.
The Tilemap Tool allows users to paint sprites onto a grid to facilitate rapid and more precise prototyping and 2d level design. The Timeline Editor, powered by cinemachine, allows developers and animators to easily coordinate complex cutscenes by providing one timeline that can visually layout the animations of several game objects at once.
In this course, we will use these two core features of Unity 2017 to build a 2d platformer game level. We will build a splash screen, animated cutscene, playable third person character, artificially intelligent enemies, in-game collectibles, and a 2d level. By the end of this course you will have hands-on experience implementing all of these game features using Unity’s latest 2d tools.
The full project made in this course is attached as a resource to the course. So if you get stuck for any reason, you have both the full project as well as myself that you can reach out to for help!
Who is the target audience?
- Any Unity developer looking to learn how to use the new Unity 2017 tools for 2d game development.
- Anyone looking to speed up their 2d game design workflow in Unity.
- Beginners who want to learn how to build a 2d platform game from start to finish.
- Basic Unity knowledge
- Have hands on experience building a 2d game level.
- Have an understanding of Unity 2017’s new Tilemap and Timeline Editor tools.
- Be able to program 2d character movement, AI enemies, and environment scripting such as moving platforms.