Apply your learning to create amazing games with Unity 5
Are you a game developer looking to refine your skills for building games quickly and easily with Unity 5? If yes, this Learning Path is for you.
Unity is an exciting and popular engine in the game industry. Unity will ease your way of creating highly optimized and beautiful 2D and 3D games by speeding up your development process.
Multi-platform support. Excellent balance of ease of use and power. Workflows support 2D, 3D, and hybrid games effortlessly.
The above mentioned features are some of the strengths of Unity 5.
This Learning Path takes a practical, project-based approach to teach you game development with Unity 5. You will begin with setting the game project workflow. Then, you will learn scripting and creating user interface. Also, you will learn working with textures. Further, you will develop your Unity skills by exploring level design and animation. Next, you will learn to create and import assets and packages which you can add to your game. Also, you will be familiar with organizing game resources and optimizing game performance. Finally, you will learn debugging and testing games.
By the end of this Learning Path, you will have developed an advanced knowledge of Unity and its powerful feature-set and will be able to create interactive, feature-rich, and highly optimized games with Unity 5.
About the Authors:
For this course, we have combined the best works of these esteemed authors:
- Dr. Edward Lavieri is a veteran game designer and developer with a strong academic background. He earned a Doctorate of Computer Science from Colorado Technical University, an MS in Management Information Systems (Bowie State University), an MS in Education (Capella University), and an MS in Operations Management (University of Arkansas). As the founder and creative director of three19, a software design and development studio, he is constantly designing and developing software. He uses a variety of game engines and development tools. His passions include developing adaptive learning systems, educational games, and mobile apps.
- Alan Thorn is a multidisciplinary game developer, author, and educator with industry experience of 17 years. He makes games for PC desktops, mobiles, and VR. He founded Wax Lyrical Games and created the award-winning Baron Wittard: Nemesis of Ragnarok game, working as designer, programmer, and artist. He has written twenty-three technical books on game development and presented 19 video training courses. These cover gameplay programming, Unity development, 3D modeling, and animation.
- You should have basic knowledge of Unity
- Programming experience in Unity will be an added advantage
- Setting the project workflow
- Learn how to create and script the user interface
- Generating height maps and painting the terrain
- Testing and editing UI functionality
- Understand working with textures
- Get a better understanding of how level design works
- Explore material creation with Unity 5
- Learn animation techniques
- Create your character controller
- Learn to organize game resources and optimize game performance
- Test the game