Learn to write an academic paper that is clear, effective, that makes you look good, and that is well-received.
Academic writing is not about grammar. It's not about fancy words. It's not about memorizing information or showing off new fonts.
It's about effectively communicating a complex idea, and backing that idea up with facts and compelling arguments.
"But I have good ideas!", you protest. "But I still don't get good grades!!"
That's because you haven't learned how to package and sell your ideas to your reader. I was a straight A student before becoming a professional editor. I have spent the past 10 years mastering the art of academic writing. I know how to get good grades, I know what you need to do to get them too. And in this course, I show you.
"I am a graduate student," you sigh. "I don't need some class talking to me about grammar. I need someone who knows that I have ideas that need to get through."
I understand about ideas needing to get through. I am a published researcher, and professional scientific editor. I have edited 100s of manuscripts at every level in the fields of psychology, social science, linguistics, engineering, education... I know what this kind of writing is about. And I know how to make it "sell".
Academic writing is a strict, rules-based form of communication. In this course, I take you behind the scenes and into the mind of your professor (or TA) or referee board. I give you the tips and tricks that I have gained through my years of experience and that work.
I have jam-packed the information you need into a series of lectures, course notes, and quizzes. This course is compact: I give you the information you need to excel, no time-wasters.
The lectures, course notes, and quizzes are complimentary and contain all the information you need to take your academic writing to the next level.
Students who will benefit most:
- college students/undergraduates who need to boost grades,
- grad students who need to take their writing to the next level (i.e., finish dissertation and get published!)
This course is NOT a grammar course. If you are looking for a course to take you through the basics of English grammar and style, I don't do that here. If you are looking for a course to help you kick some academic butt, enroll right now.
- I am assuming you have a basic knowledge of English grammar and sentence composition. These are essential to beginning to build a cohesive academic text
- You will learn important information about structuring academic texts
- You will learn important information about paragraph structure and creating flow
- You will learn important information about structuring and presenting literature reviews for an academic audience