Emotional intelligence is the ability to combine thinking with feelings in order to build good quality relationships and to make good authentic decisions. It is fundamental to leading a full, rich and rewarding life.
Emotional intelligence is different from IQ - cognitive intelligence, and offers a different perspective on success and performance at work.
Your emotional intelligence is your responsibility! How you react and respond to events is governed by your emotional intelligence. You can work to develop your emotional intelligence, but this is not easy.
This course looks at what emotional intelligence is and what it is not. It looks at some models of emotional intelligence; what they mean and how they can be applied at work.
The course covers the advantages and disadvantages of emotional intelligence, ways it can be improved and some do's and don'ts of working with emotional intelligence. It will test your emotional intelligence!
Changing the way that you work with your emotions is not easy. This course will give you some insightsBUT developing your emotional intelligence will take you time and a lot of effort, and even then you are not going to get it right all the time!!
The course contains narrated videos, quizzes and some fun material to download - including a series of complementary crib cards.
- The course contains an interview with one of the key researchers in the field of emotional intelligence - Dr. David Caruso from Yale University Center for Emotional Intelligence. He gives his views on the subject and some insights into emotional intelligence as an ability
There is also a practical activity related to your work for you to do outside of the course to find out how you view your emotional intelligence and how others view your emotional intelligence. This involves some interaction with other people and some reflection. It will help to guide you on what and how you need to change. [WARNING: this takes some effort and you may not like what you find out!]
The course material makes up part of a one day workshop endorsed by the Institute of Leadership and Management. It is equivalent to about 8 hour's CPD training.
PLEASE NOTE - This course is NOT for you if you are not prepared to work through the practical activity that makes up a fundamental part of the course. Emotional intelligence cannot be developed by learning some techniques through watching a few video lectures. The course requires you to do some reflective thinking, to get some feedback and to discuss your development with others. I'm afraid that you won't get the best from the course unless you are prepared to do this.
This course is being continually refined and updated to ensure it remains current and relevant.
There are TWO practical activities included within the course that are designed to help you to develop your emotional intelligence. Both activities require you do some work outside of the course.
Who is the target audience?
- Anyone who is interested in having a basic understanding of why emotions play an important role in performance and success
- Anyone who wants to have a deeper understanding of themselves and how to work better with other people
- Anyone with an interest in developing their ability to manage their emotions
- We all have emotions! You will need an open mind and a willingness to learn
- Anyone with an interest in, and the commitment to, developing their ability to manage the emotional dimensions of life should be well placed to undertake this course
- Anyone with an interest in applying intelligence to emotion
- Find out about the importance of understanding the emotions that you experience
- Explore how to practise and learn how to develop emotional intelligence
- Discover how to improve your relationships and performance by gaining insights into the emotions of other people
- Understand how you react in situations with a particular focus on how your feelings and emotions impact upon your performance