This is a step-by-step guide to learning the phonetic chart. You will learn why, how and when, as an English language teacher, you should use phonetic symbols and how this will dramatically improve your teaching of pronunciation. This is a proven method which has been taught to many language teachers with great results.
First of all, you will learn the phonetic symbols from the International Phonetic Chart and the practise how to transcribe any accent of English - American, British, Australian, etc. you will then learn about different phonetic scripts, how to use the phonetic chart in the classroom, You will become much more effective in teaching pronunciation and help your students remember the pronunciation of new words.
You will appreciate this practical and informative video workshop and your students will appreciate your using the phonetic chart.
“You present very well on the video, Luke. It is academically sound.”
Mr Lance Ebert, Deputy Principal, Excelsior College, Sydney
“The video is thoroughly practical and useful, as I am used to from you.”
Ms Joss Brockie, Director of Studies and long term colleague, Gold Coast
Who is the target audience?
- This course is for English language teachers (TESOL, ESL/EFL, ELT) who want to use the International phonetic chart to dramatically improve their teaching of pronunciation.
- The use of phonetic symbols is not recommended with Arab students as they already struggle with spelling. However, an effective alternative to improve their pronunciation is given.
- A printer to print worksheets
- understand why you should use phonetic symbols with your students. There are a number of very good reasons
- learn when you should use phonetic symbols with your students and when not
- become confident in using phonetic symbols with your students in the classroom