Unity is one of the exciting and popular game engine that is used to create stunning games in the game industry. If you're interested to gain the skills to develop interesting 2D games with this powerful engine, then go for this Learning Path.
Packt’s Video Learning Paths are a series of individual video products put together in a logical and stepwise manner such that each video builds on the skills learned in the video before it.
The highlights of this Learning Path are:
- Gain a strong hands-on experience in 2D game development
- Learn to publish games on the Web and various mobile devices
Let’s take a quick look at your learning journey. To start with, you will be introduced to 2D game development. The Learning Path describes the process of setting up a project in 2D mode, covers the use of 2D sprites, discusses ways to access 2D objects through code, and explains the basics of the User Interface. You will then build your first game, a “text adventure game” and you will then go on to create an example of this with the various elements.
After making a text adventure game, you will go back to the challenges and use them to improve the game and your 2D game development skills.
Moving ahead you'll understand how to build your initial code structure, and from there, create controllers for your player and the camera. You'll then add in weapons and learn how to keep track of enemy kills, after which, you'll create game-play by scripting in C#. Finally, you'll create the visuals and publish the game to multiple platforms
By the end of this Learning Path, you will have a basic 2D game as well as a reusable game framework and an editor extension to expedite the creation of the 2D game you make.
About the Author
- Dr. Ashley Godbold is a programmer, game designer, artist, mathematician, and teacher. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Mathematics, a Master of Science in Mathematics, a Bachelor of Science in Game Art and Design, and a Doctor of Computer Science in Emerging Media where her dissertation research focused on educational video game design. She works full-time as a game developer and also runs a small indie/passion studio. She teaches college courses in Unity, 3ds Max, Adobe Flash, game design, and mathematics. She is also the author of Mastering Unity 2D Game Development, Second Edition by Packt Publishing.
- Ethan Casner creates both single-player and Massively-Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) with the Unity Engine. He has created games written in the industry standard C# programming language and runs an independent consultation and development studio called Stained Glass Llama, which is officially sponsored by Microsoft. Working alongside Exit Games (Photon), Ethan and SGL succeeded in creating the largest Unity-based multiplayer networking system to date. He also submitted his own game based on its software to Valve Corporation (the world's largest digital distributor of PC and console games) in its Greenlight program and it won the #1 spot in the world out of over 1,700 submissions.
- Basic programming knowledge of C#
- Basics knowledge of the Unity engine
- Familiarize yourself with 2D game development
- Import sprites and effectively manipulate sprite sheets
- Learn the basics of writing C# code in Mono Develop
- Create effective user interfaces for various platforms, including the mobile arena
- Create a text adventure game
- Design your game framework
- Build multiple action packed games from scratch
- Leverage intuitive workflow tools and the state-of-the-art Unity rendering engine to build and deploy mobile, as well as console, games
- Learn to add cool multiplayer features on your games